Monday, February 4, 2013

washcloths

A few more dish / wash cloths done. I actually have one more done that escaped picture taking. It will be in the next group.

I'm still using the yarn donated by Beth. Unbelievable how many cloths I'm getting from this box of yarn - and still quite a bit left. It hasn't cost me a cent to make these so the only cost I've incurred has been to mail. (Btw, did you know first class stamp price has gone up?)


Nothing fancy about this group of cloths. I just single or double crocheted, some through both loops, some through back loop only. For the blue and white I combined single and double crochet rows. My goal is not to have a lot of ends to sew in, though on the white and multi I was using up some of the smaller balls so I did end up sewing in a lot of tails. I don't mind the sewing in of them; just hoping they stay put.

If you're thinking of making some cloths for the Bridge and Beyond, and wondering where they're going to be used, here is what is said on the web site regarding washcloths (I use the terms washcloth and dishcloth interchangeably. They are made pretty much the same and can use any pattern. They're just used for different purposes.):
100% Cotton or a Cotton blend works well for both knitted and crocheted washcloths.  We collect these all year.  It's an item always needed at the shelters, and is very much appreciated.

The family shelters, both Faith Mission and The Homeless Families Foundation provide packages to the families as the depart shelter living into "their home."  Washcloths and dish clothes are always a part of these packs.

Sizes and colors appropriate for adults, as well as children; but primarily adults are needed.  The adults who live outside in the elements (primarily men) are also given these cotton wash cloths, so manly colors are needed as well as the more traditional pastels and brights.
I am making cloths right now, but scarves, hats, mittens, slippers, socks, afghans and more are needed for these folks in Ohio. Have a look at the blog site for additional info.


I've had a break from making videos, but I've been thinking of working on some again soon. This week will be rainy and it's hard to videotape with the rain banging on our aluminum roof, but I'm hoping next week I can start again. If you have thoughts on what you'd like to see in a video, holler out. I do have a list but it's not set in stone.

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment