Saturday, October 1, 2011

SOL finale

Lookit! I had a scarf about a third done in straight sc. I didn't think I'd have time to finish it before heading to deliver them, but I did. After it was finished, I decided to add a little surface crochet to it. I have been wanting to try that and I was pleased with how it turned out. It's not a fancy pattern, not planned. Just went where it went.

You can see both front and back in the photo.

Finished size is 6" x 58".

All of the remaining scarves will be delivered to Special Olympics Louisiana. Then I will be moving on to other projects.

Happy crocheting!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

new scarf / copyright infringement

Tada! #30 scarf is complete. Whew!

Finished size is 6" x 59".

The pattern I used is in the leaflet Ruthie's Easy Crocheted Scarves by Ruthie Marks. It is called Lace and Spirals. I didn't do the spirals part. :-)

It uses V stitch and a 3 dc bobble for the center section. The pattern does not call for edging, but I used an edging of one round sc in blue, a round of dc in red, then a round of faux picot (sc, ch 2, sc, sk 1) in blue. I really like the finished product. Oh, and I didn't count rows, but the pattern says 58" long so I must be close.

It was very simple to do once you got into the rhythm of it.

In other news, I discovered that some of my photos were taken from Crochet Cabana without my permission and used on another site. The site owner placed their "name" on the photos. Since these were from one of my earliest tutorials, I did not have my copyright notice directly on the photos. They are definitely my photos as my notations were kept.

The site is in Arabic but translation is available, though it is difficult to understand. My video is also embedded on site.

I have written a polite note using their contact form asking them to remove the photos. I have not had any reply as of yet. It is possible the person did not realize they were doing something wrong. I know it doesn't seem like it could be, but many are not educated about copyright laws and just don't think of intellectual property as something owned.

Truthfully, this is so discouraging and once again makes me wonder if I should just give up and shut down the site. This is not the first time I've had my materials taken and used without permission. I am not alone in this. I know other designers and charity sites have had similar experiences.

Oh well, I guess they are the ones who have to live with their conscience.

Happy crocheting!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011


I've been busy, busy, busy the past week finishing up an afghan as a wedding gift. I wove most of the tails in during the four hours coming and going to the wedding shower. The assembly did double duty as I made videos during the process (which I will be uploading and annotating today).

It is being washed, then it will be wrapped for the upcoming wedding on the 8th.

The details - the finished size is 49" x 56 1/2". Here is a photo of it laid out on a queen size bed.

There was no planned "pattern" for the squares. I just made squares until I ran out of yarn. Then I scattered them into the largest size I could make with those squares. I purchased four skeins of the beige for the assembly and edging.

Yarn is mostly Vanna's Choice though I think one of the blues is a different manufacturer.

The whole thing was assembled using the continuous join. I'm pleased with the result. I hope the newlyweds will like it and enjoy it for many years to come.

I am hoping to deliver the Special Olympic scarves this week. I have one more to complete to meet my self imposed goal.

Happy crocheting!