Sunday, June 4, 2017

temperature afghan

I have completed another temperature afghan. I know - surprise! It is a surprise for my daughter.

If you are interested in making one, I have complete information as to how to get your info into a Word document in the temperature scarf post. If you don't want to go to all that trouble, just get the info from Wunderground and either write it down or work from the computer. You could also take a screen shot. There are ways around it. I enjoy the process so I took the long road. :-)

If you're looking for the seed stitch (moss, linen or whatever) pattern I used, you can find it in this post.

Finished size of this ghan is about 44" x 73".

The yarn used was Knit Picks Brava Sport. Most of it was leftover from the other two afghans. The only yarn I bought was the canary (see post ranting about Etsy experience). The reason I had to buy that one was my own fault. I thought I had enough and turned out I'd mistaken two skeins of caution for the canary in the poor lighting in my closet. If I'd realized my error I could have used the caution instead of the canary but oh well, that's how it goes. I was able to get 25 rows to a skein using a G hook and the KPBS yarn with a foundation chain of 226.

Colors are:
30s Mulberry
40s Wine
50s Solstice Heather
60s Tranquil
70-72 Cornflower
80-85 Canary
86-89 Paprika
90 Persimmon
91 Seashell
93-99 Red

I put a little different edging on this one to differentiate it from the boys' ghans. First round is the (sc, ch 1, sk 1) edging. Then I added a (sc, ch 2, 2 dc, sk) pattern around. The skip is whatever looks right. It does wave a little bit and I redid one section because it was too much in my opinion. I'm pleased with it overall now. You can see the edging in this photo of the afghan folded over to show the difference in seasons. The 80s begin in April and continue through the beginning of October.

I didn't have quite as much trouble with cutting out knots because I rolled most of the skeins ahead of time. I missed a few but not many. This also impacted how I worked the rows. If I ended up with a small ball due to having to cut out a knot or thick/thin spot, then I kept that aside for when I needed that color for only one row. All in all, it worked out with a lot less frustration for me.

I continued to use my stitch markers at the beginning and end of each row and to mark the end of a month in case I needed to go back there for some reason. I believe this prevented me from messing up and having to rip since I'm usually doing something else while crocheting. I think this was a time saver.

So that's three temperature afghans and I'm done with those for a while. I find the preparation process fun but would prefer to hand off the actual crocheting to someone else. LOL That said, I'm happy to be able to say I made them and happy the receipients will have this reminder of their birth year.

After completing the afghan, I washed it, then snipped the little bits that sneak out. With this many tails to sew in, that's bound to happen.

Next up, more cradles and some placemats.

Happy crocheting!