Friday, January 28, 2011

ripple hat

In a previous post, I showed you a photo of two little green hats made of soy yarn. I did not give the pattern as these were hats I'd found which I had worked on a while back and put aside so the pattern was not handy. However, someone asked me about it and I found the ripple hat pattern so I wanted to give the link.

On my printed copy I had notations where I made a couple of minor changes. If you look at the comments section, a lady named Maureen also suggests a few changes in the instructions. She and I found basically the same things.

Before I saw the comments, I had rewritten Rounds 2 and 3 for myself as follows:
Rnd 2:  ch 3, sk 1 dc, *in next dc work  DC-Ch 2-DC (V-stitch made), sk 1 dc* six times; DC in base of starting Ch 3, Ch 2, join. (7 V-stitches)

Rnd 3: sl st in dc and in first V-stitch space chain 3, DC-Ch2-2DC in same space. *2DC-Ch2-2DC in next V-stitch space* six times; join.

In the succeeding rounds, there is a missing (sl st in next dc) right at the beginning of each round. The rest of the pattern looks fine. Note that in Rnd 6 you start working single V stitches - IOW (dc, ch 2, dc) rather than (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc). That's important because that is how you stop increasing.

If you want to make a larger hat, you can do so by changing hook size. If you want a BABY hat, then you must use the lighter weight yarn and small hook as this hat gets larger fast. When I tested this again to be sure my notes were correct, I grabbed the nearest yarn, which was worsted weight, and my trusty H hook. Needless to say, it is way too large for an infant. LOL

If you have additional questions, you can always check the original pattern for the round ripple afghan from which she says the hat pattern is adapted.

The second hat shown above is not a pattern as far as I can remember. In looking at the larger photo I think this is what I did:

Rnd 1 - 6: 12, 24, 36, 48, 48. 48,
Rnd 7: ch 4, sk 1, dc, (ch 1, sk 1, dc) around
Rnd 8: dc around
Rnd 9: rep rnd 7
Rnd 10: rep rnd 8


Happy crocheting!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you came back and shared the pattern. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete