Monday, October 19, 2015

Ghans ghans and more ghans

Earlier in the year I made a name afghan for my daughter. As it happens, she is now expecting our second grandson. I was thinking I needed to add our new grandson's name to the afghan or create another afghan including him.

I started out deciding to make a new afghan, but rather than using individual letters as in the first one, I would make them one piece. Well, this was poorly thought out as the one piece names are much narrower than the individual lettered names. :-( I forgot to take into account that there would be twice the space between each letter than in the one piece. I don't know where my brain was that day. I could easily have added those stitches in. In any case I did two of each name as one piece. Then I borrowed the original afghan and noticed the difference in width.

What to do oh what to do. Well, those one piece names are made so I will probably assemble them and make an afghan out of them. I have some almond yarn to edge each name and put a border around the entire thing. I haven't started to do that yet. I could conceivably rip those back as I have enough of the same yarns to increase the width between letters I think. But you know, who would do that? LOL They are made. I really enjoy working filet pieces so it was not a hardship to do. It wouldn't even be a hardship to redo them really.

Now for the afghan that is already finished I am staring at it and wondering if I am able to take it apart without damaging it. I think it is possible. My concern is where the tails are sewn in on the border. I am crazy with sewing in tails and they could be anywhere. heh

I completed enough letters to make two names. BUT - you know there is always a but - I forgot to take into account that the names are not the same length. The longest name has 8 letters. The new name has 6 so while I had enough yarn to make 12 letters and three blanks. I need another blank. I THOUGHT I had another skein of Knit Picks Brindle, but alas I do not. So what to do, what to do. Ordering one skein with shipping and handling added seems impractical. Of course, I could always put those letters aside and make new letters with a different color and I may well do that.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do, but I will sew together the letters I do have because ... well, why not? LOL

I am also thinking if I completely started over I could order more yarn in different colors for each name. And well, who doesn't like to get new yarn to play with? LOL

I share this with you so you can see that although I have been crocheting for many, many years I still screw up more often than I might like to admit. LOL

I also am not finished the other afghan though I have completed most of the picture part. Can you guess?



Also I made a couple of dish/wash cloths and forgot to put up pics of them. These are still from the When Granny Meets Filet book which I totally love.



I also wanted to mention a cowl pattern that I found today. I like the idea of buttons and she has a full tutorial demonstrating how to make the cowl, add the buttons and her method of sewing in the tails. It is the Earth Fairy Button Cowl. You can find the text pattern with a link to the video tutorial here. It is also available on Ravelry but the Ravelry link sends you to this page anyway. :-)

That's all for now. I'll keep you guessing as to what I will eventually decide to do. *heading to Knit Picks to look at yarn* :-)

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment