Monday, July 18, 2011

Special Olympics Louisiana

As I mentioned in a previous post, I planned to deliver the scarves I've made so far to the Special Olympics Louisiana office in Hammond. I did do that and here is a photo as proof.

This is a picture taken by SO staff member Tiffany. We did take some photos with my camera, but I thought hers was the best so I'm borrowing it from the Facebook page. :-) They wanted a picture featuring the scarves, so those are two of the ones I made. I gave it back when the photo op was done.

The young man pictured sits at the desk as you enter and welcomes guests.He was working on the computer as well so I think he stays busy!

The door was locked so I was glad I had e-mailed earlier in the week to let them know I was coming and make sure the office would be open.


My box of scarves was the first they've received. I also mailed in the first scarves last year. Oh my! A tradition. Heh I'll have to be sure to get on the ball next year.

Tiffany was the sweetest thing. She took us all around the facility, giving hubby and I the grand tour. We saw all of the offices and warehouse and the meeting room. There was a photo of the very first Special Olympic athletes. Very special.

There was also a chart showing the different logos. Louisiana office had a part in that design, though I can't remember the details Tiffany gave about that. I do remember the design went through several incarnations as there were at least four in the picture we saw.

We said howdy to those folks who were in the offices. Some were out of town tending to various parts of the business. We also met Dana, who hails from my part of the world and now works there at the SO office. It was unexpected to meet someone originally from here working over there. She actually knows my neighbor well. Small world.  

The picture at left was not one of those I took, but rather one that Tiffany took. Hers was the best of the lot, so I'm borrowing it from the Facebook page. :-) 

During our tour we received T-shirts commemorating our visit.

All in all, it was a great trip and I'm so glad to be a part of this project. You can follow Special Olympics Louisiana on Facebook as well as the Scarves for Special Olympics project. 

Information on how to participate in this project, and specifically Louisiana, can be found at the main web site, http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/states/view/18 .

Remember that the colors are:
Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red 0319
Red Heart Super Saver Soft Navy 0387
Red Heart Soft Navy 4604
Red Heart Soft Really Red 9925

PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to work with the Red Heart Super Saver or Red Heart Soft Yarns - or a combination of both - please just use both a red and a blue in your scarf design!

Length: between 54" and 60" long. Please include fringe or other adornments within these measurements.

Width: Approximately 6 inches wide


Happy crocheting!
Sandie

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you went and delivered the scarves in person and got to have that personal touch experience with your donation. Saves on shipping too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shipping can really put a dent in your budget if you mail out a lot. Since we do go out there occasionally, I was glad to save those dollars! It was interesting to see where it all happens too - the business end.

    ReplyDelete