Friday, November 5, 2010

Alzheimer lapghan

This is a lapghan in progress for the Alzheimer project. I am using the mile-a-minute pattern Restful Rainbow afghan as I mentioned before in the book Mile-A-Minute Afghans (Leisure Arts #108200) (Crochet Treasury Series) . It is taking more strips than I thought it would for the lapghan, but I'm plugging away at it. :-)

This is a pretty simple pattern. On the far right I am showing the basic strip, which is simple 6 dc across.

In the middle you can see one strip with the edging, which is really what gives it that special oomph. The edging uses alternating 3 dc shells and a long triple dc that goes around 3 rows on one side and then the other 3 on the opposite side.

As I mentioned before, I used 75 rows in the lapghan, which is different from the afghan. I also left a long, long strand to sew the strips together so I wouldn't have so many tails left afterwards. I am being very careful to whipstitch these well because I don't want anything poking out because I didn't pull it through correctly.

One strip I made I have put aside because there is a stitch that got messed up. I don't know if it is the yarn, or if it got caught on something or if it was the pin I used to mark off rows. In any case, I put that one aside and will undo and rework it later if I need to. I have plenty of the turqua yarn though so it shouldn't be a problem. I also found a complete skein of the blue that I had forgotten I had.

I also plan to look for more of these two yarns as I think I'll make some more for the Special Olympic project if I can find some at Walmart at the same price. Red Heart now has put the blue and turqua on sale for 2.99, which is much better than their normal $4+. Of course there is shipping cost to add, but at a local store you have tax. You may or may not pay tax on an online purchase. It just depends if there is a store in your state. I don't know if Coats and Clark has any physical stores, but Joann and Michael's and Hobby Lobby do so you pay both s/h and tax on those purchases.

That's all for now. Temps are way down in Louisiana right now. Good time to be working on lapghans, afghans, and scarves.

Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment