Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jacob's Ladder

On my hooks right now is a Jacob's Ladder ghan, worked from Beth Ham's pattern which you can find in pdf format at Crochet Cabana, or in html at Beth's site here. Beth's video referenced does not show how to make it, but does show a finished \ghan, the same one as is shown in the pdf file.

As I have mentioned here before, I would like to get into making videos now and then, so I'm playing with that option now. I am getting more comfortable with the talking part, but my camera skills leave a lot to be desired. However, keeping that in mind, I did complete two videos demonstrating how to make the "cabled ladder" effect using the ch-10 loops made in Beth's pattern.

I apologize for using red yarn as the first stripe, which is where I had to start with the video. Red is terrible for videos and photos, which I didn't realize when I started the ghan. At that time, I was just starting the project with no thought about making a video. I think it will still do the job though.

So here is Part 1.



And here is Part 2.



And here are some photos.

Jacob's Ladder before creating the cabled ladder effect.

Close-up of the ch-10 loops before cabled
Almost finished - still needs edging

Close-up of cabled ladder
Close-up of attaching cabled ladder to edging

View from back side

Now for the details. As noted, I followed Beth Ham's pattern. Of course, I didn't follow it exactly. LOL Do I ever? I used a J hook. I did 7 rows of each of 10 colors. If I were doing it now I would do another two stripes as it came out  wider than long. Before cabling the ladder, it was about 60". In the first photo the afghan is lying on a queen size bed. Size right now is 44 1/2" wide x 38" long.

The color scheme is more or less random. Sadly, I grabbed the red first, which is the worst color for photography. After the first five colors, I happily found myself at Hobby Lobby and Michael's so I purchased a bunch of different colors and asked hubby to lay them out in pleasing fashion. :-)

Gold and purple are LSU colors. This would make a nice scarf for a fan. Ohhh, that gives me an idea. :-) Yes, it does. But not for an LSU fan. More to come on that later.

As far as the afghan, or really lapghan since it is smallish, I still plan to work edging completely around, at least for one round, maybe more.

That's all for now.

Happy crocheting!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sandie - I love this pattern, but never knew it was called Jacobs Ladder! Your afghan is beautiful, I've never done the afghan but have made a few potholders using the same pattern! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the video I am off to make this afghan thanks to your video.
    I was wonding how to not have big holes in the beginnig of the ladder.
    Your video is wonderful hope you make more to share.
    The color red didn't bother me any I could see what you were doing.
    Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this technique. And it is so much fun to do. It is the idea behind the magic star I did a while back. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete