Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Reference books for squares

I don't think I ever listed the books of squares and stitches that I had listed at Crafty Corral, so I am adding it now and on the navigation bar under CAL reference books for your convenience. They are from Amazon and I do get a small percentage - very small heh - credited to my account if you purchase. I've yet to receive any money from Amazon at all so I'm not making a killing here. The links are given because these are books that I enjoy and I think you will enjoy also.

First off, there's a square I've been wanting to make in
Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting (Teach Yourself Visually)
The square is the mitered square on p. 158-9. That's first up on my list though it's not technically a "square" book.

200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
Some of the squares are just variations in different colors, but there are still a LOT of squares to do.

The Crochet Stitch Bible
That one might be out of print as there wasn't a price listing on it. I don't know why it would be since it was published 2004 and it's such a nice book. Smaller size, spiral bound so easy to keep open where you want it. It gives multiples, which I love, so I can make it any size I want.

365 Crochet Stitches a Year: Perpetual Calendar
This one is also smaller size and spiral bound, but paper cover rather than hardcover like the other one.

I have already made many of the squares in this book
101 Crochet Squares (1216)
It's one of the first pattern books of squares that I got and I've used it a lot. I have a few favorites. #96 is my all time favorite. I've made dozens of them.

Another book I've had for a long time and used often is
63 Easy-to-Crochet Pattern Stitches (Leisure Arts #555)
This leaflet has been around a long time. There were some errors in the first printing. I'm guessing they've ironed those out over time.

A recent acquisition is
50 Fabulous Crochet Squares (Leisure Arts #4420)

You might remember I bought this book for the Janie Herrin squares. Lovely squares. Lovely book. Squares are many different sizes. (Note: The Janie Herrin memorial is still up if you missed it first go round.)

I also have the Chris Simon patterns from Lulu. If that link works, scroll down to see her other books. I'm also seeing the Crochet Dude's Flying Afghan. Love his patterns! 

If all goes as planned - when does it ever? - I hope to use all of these in the coming months but will always try to provide alternate ideas for those who don't have the pattern in question. Remember that your local library is a good source for patterns. There are also used book services online such as half.com and Amazon's used books. Buyer beware, but I've used these successfully in the past especially for out of print items.

So how do I change the date on this post so it shows as the first post or at the top all the time or whatever...?

Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment