Friday, March 2, 2012

Beyond the Square Crochet Motif book review

I have been anxiously awaiting this book and it did not disappoint. The book is Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 circles, hexagons, triangles, squares, and other unexpected shapes.

I actually sat down and started reading it rather than flipping through the pictures as I normally do with crochet books. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are amazing. Very clear. Nice variety of colors for every palate (yeah, that was a bad play on words). The info on the beginning pages just caught my eye - and my interest.

From how to figure out yarn amounts needed to explanations of terms and reading charts, it's all there. One section I found particularly interesting was "some stitch abbreviations and symbols". I know the stitch abbreviations, but have never worked a pattern completely in symbols, so I found this very interesting and informative. She even includes circles on which to place your own symbols (Photocopy the page first, though. Don't write in your book!)

She gives you different options for beginning and ending a round, hints and tips, how to join motifs and more. Another interesting section was "the principles of flatness". You may already know the standard increases to keep your circle flat (6 for sc, 8 for hdc, 12 for dc, and 18 for tr). Those are well known. But she goes a step further with what to do if this is not working for you. She also gives options for edgings and different ways to work your corners. I have a number of these in many of my patterns but it is really good to see them side by side and how they differ in look.

Of course the bulk of the book is made up of motif patterns and there are a great variety to work with. Circles, triangles, hexagons, squares and even a section on "unusual shapes" which includes a rectangle, oval, star, heart, half circle and even interlinked circles.

All in all, if you're looking for a book on motifs with just that little bit extra, I recommend Edie Eckman's book. I got this one from the library, but it's going right on my Amazon list!



Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment