Friday, February 24, 2017

charity

With all the things happening in my life these days, I've gotten away from consistently donating to charity. However, I firmly believe in helping others with our skills, whatever they might be. I ran across this list and thought I'd share it with you as well as having it at my fingertips for future donations. You do have to mail out items in most cases, but in general they are small items that would not cost much to mail. 

I highly recommend using the poly mailers which are light and don't add much to your mailing costs. I get mine on Ebay. Just search for poly mailers or poly envelopes. They can be easily folded over if you have a small item but only have larger envelopes.

Here's a list I saw on Facebook to get you started.
http://www.knowlio.org/10-ways-you-can-knit-or-crochet-for-charity

Of course there are several charity efforts that I am familiar with which could also use your help. Here are a few of my favorites.

The first one that comes to mind is The Bridge and Beyond run by my good friend, Sandy in Ohio. Scarves, hats and other items are donated to the homeless in her area. I trust Sandy and have no hesitation at all in recommending participation in her efforts. Along the top of the blog page, Sandy lists a bit about each item so you can make your donation especially useful.

Another effort that I have long supported is Knit Your Bit, making scarves to be given to veterans. Our soldiers do so much to keep us safe and free. They and their families make so many sacrifices. I find it most appropriate to give back to them. Knit Your Bit coordinators see that every scarf meets their criteria and finds a home with a veteran. Scarves are sent all across the country though the effort headquarters is at the WWII museum in New Orleans. I have met the sweet Lauren who began this effort and who continues to coordinate the happy volunteers. She hosts a local knit-in every now and then at the museum where you can bring your knitting and work on a scarf for a veteran.

Author Debbie Macomber supports an effort called Knit One Bless Two. The goal is to make blankets/afghans for children. The main thing to know is that the size of the ghan has to be 36" x 42". 

Christmas at Sea keeps mariners warm both physically and with a warm, fuzzy heart knowing that others are thinking about their comfort. Most of the patterns listed are knit but there are three crochet patterns: Crochet Seafarer's Cap, Crochet Scrappy Scarf, Crochet Mariners Scarf. There is a Facebook group for this effort. Other patterns are allowed as long as they "sit tight to the head (no slouchy hats) and scarves are under 50" long. No pompoms, fringe or tassels please as they're a hazard".

Having had a preemie myself, they are close to my heart. When I was working with Preemie Afghans for Charity, Danette donated many little blankets. Now she has her own effort which has been around for many years. Check out God's Tiny Angels for more information.

Another charity effort I want to  mention is Heartmade Blessings. They make afghans at the request of individuals for folks who are going through a difficult time and would benefit from being reminded that others care. There is a Facebook group and a yahoo group. Many hands make quick work. A dozen people donate squares which are assembled into afghans by another person. I like the idea of thirteen people working together to give comfort to someone they don't know.

I know there are many other efforts out there. If there is a particular thing you like to make, there is a good chance there is a charity somewhere that needs it. 

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment