Friday, April 17, 2015

recent projects

A little while ago I pulled up the blog to begin a new post and discovered that it's been a month since my last post! I also saw that I said I was going to make a Season 14 double crochet scarf. Well, I did. But I put it aside to sew the tails in and forgot about it. I looked all over the house for it and finally found it - in my basket right by my chair! LOL Yes, I am going crazy.

Here is the scarf, tails and all. The yarn used is: 
Stylecraft Special DK Copper, Khaki, Burgundy, Graphite, and Almond, Knit Picks Brava Sport Brindle, Hayfield Bonus DK Shade 0766 Pumpkin

It's about 8 1/2" wide. Length is approx. 102" (8 1/2') without fringe. Fringe would add about another foot. I chained 37 for 35 double crochets across. I used S12-14 double crochet pattern here. You can also find it here. And it is at Ravelry here



Since I finished that scarf, except for sewing in the tails and adding fringe if I decide to do so, I have completed several other small projects. 

My sis asked me to make her some bottle koozies (or huggies or whatever you want to call them). I had never made any but didn't think it would be very difficult, and it wasn't. In fact, I made a whole bunch of them. I forgot to take a photo of the others before sending them off, but here are two. 

This the first one I made. She gave me the size of the bottle and told me how tall she wanted the koozie to be. I didn't have a bottle that size but used my water bottle to judge my work.

I made these just as though I were making a hat but just went higher. I used an H hook and worsted weight yarn. I think this is Red Heart Super Saver light sage, but not sure. It was a huge skein, 14 ozs.

I worked two rounds. First round is 12 dc in adjustable ring. Second round, 2 dc in each of those 12 to make 24 stitches. This came out to be about 2 1/2". Then I worked even (dc in each stitch) for 10 rounds. This made it 5" high. Different yarn, different number of rows can easily adjust this in size. In fact, I'm planning to make one a little taller today. 

The bottle pictured here is a Dasani 16 oz water bottle.

This is the actual container my sister is using. It is taller than my water bottle as you can see. This is Red Heart Super Saver Camo, color Mirage. It is about the same size as the green one.


I also made one with Knit Picks soft cotton yarn which I don't have a picture of. I found it slid around a bit more on the bottle. Possibly cheaper yarn, which would be rougher, might actually cling to the cup better.

Besides the koozies and scarf, I also made a couple squares using my daughter's cross-stitch square pattern which I love. I intended to make a bunch but got sidetracked. I will get back to this eventually. They are 8" using an H hook and the above green yarn.


I have a couple of other projects in progress and, of course, I have to finish that scarf!

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment