Thursday, July 5, 2012

Doctor Who scarf S12

No, I didn't finish edging the S18 scarf. Don't fuss. :-) I will do it. In the meantime, however, I started a season 12 scarf. This is my first S12. I am using the darker colors, based on the recommendations of Gene Fender at the new Doctor Who Scarf site. He gives several suggestions and I chose what I liked after ordering all the colors.

However - and this is a big however - I am not using anyone's row counts! I looked at Gene's "inches" scarf where he tells you how many inches to work in each color (on a picture). [Click on "inches". It is a pdf file.] Then I made myself a little chart so I could write in how many SINGLE CROCHET rows it takes me to get that many inches done with an *I* hook. It's approximate because it's hard to measure a quarter inch but it gives a good idea. Let's face it, nobody is going to come look at it and measure it and say this is not EXACTLY like Tom Baker's scarf. Even Tom Baker's scarves are not all the same. LOL

So here is what I have done so far.



I will remind you of the BBC colors and the corresponding yarn that I chose for THIS scarf.

Purple = Vanna’s Choice Burgundy
Camel =  I Love This Yarn light taupe
Mustard = Bernat Waverly Gypsy Gold
Rust =  I Love This Yarn Terra Cotta
Grey = Vanna’s Choice Taupe
Greenish Brown = Bernat Waverly Bark
Bronze = Vanna’s Choice Toffee


If you want to follow along with me on this scarf, here are my current row counts with these colors and my *I* hook. If you use a different hook and different yarns you can still use these counts, but your finished scarf will most likely be different in finished size - which is okay!

These are not Tara or Gene or Chris' counts. These are MINE and made for single crochet using an I hook and MY tension but using Gene's inch calculations.

gauge is 13 sc and 16 rows = 4"

3  - burgundy
25 -  lt taupe
8 - toffee
4 -  gypsy gold
10 - terra cotta
3 -  burgundy
22 -  taupe
10 - bark
3 -  gypsy gold
14 - lt. taupe
8 - terra cotta
3 -  toffee
6 - burgundy
22 - bark
4 - gypsy gold
9 Taupe
4 - terra cotta

If you don't have those colors but want to come along for the ride, here are the basic BBC colors with row counts and you can choose whatever you have in your stash that comes close.

3 -  purple
25 - camel
8 - bronze
4 - mustard
10 - rust
3 - purple
22 -  grey
10 - greenish brown
3 - mustard
14 - camel
8 - rust
3 - bronze
6 - purple
22 - greenish brown
4 - mustard
9 - grey
4 - rust

One additional note. The BBC original PATTERN does not follow exactly the original SCARF. Tara, Gene, and Chris are in agreement on the order of colors even though they use different yarns to represent the colors. The original BBC pattern leaves out two sections of "grey". Guess they didn't want anyone having exactly the same scarf since this was written at the time the original scarf was being used I think. Anyway, since I am going for the look, not the pattern, I include those two grey sections in my counts.

The above is about 3 1/2 feet of scarf which I have done so far. Obviously, I don't know what the count will be for the next sections until I do them, but I'll keep you posted.


Why not grab a hook and get to work on your own scarf? Then we can compare our efforts. If you look at photos of Tom in the scarves, you will see they look different depending on lighting anyway. :-)

I really like these yarns. I had never used the Bernat Waverly before but I like it. The colors are nice too. They are deeper colors, a darker shade than the Vanna mustard I used before and the ILTY sungold. It seems appropriate for a "man's" scarf.

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment