Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chain Reaction

Some time ago I purchased Crochet Me Workshop: Chain Reaction Afghan Project Crochet-Along with Kristin Omdahl and Marcy Smith.
 
My purpose was so that when I was ready to make those squares I would have specific instructions to go with the printed patterns. I don't regret that purchase. However, I finally pulled it out and was watching it yesterday while sofa-ridden with a pulled back muscle.

It is NOT what I call a Crochet-along. They do not start a square and then take you through the making of it. They do show you how to work specific stitches in the squares and give many tips on designing your afghan and assembling it. It is well worth the purchase, but it is not a start to finish guide to each square. If you are working the square patterns via paper and need a bit of extra help with making the different stitches, this is the perfect thing.

I put it aside for now, but will pull it out again if I have trouble with any of the squares as I try to work them. I didn't want to have to print out all the paper patterns, but I might end up doing that after all. [Added: If you want the patterns, they are available for free at the Crochet Me web site. Here Chain Reaction Afghan Project or Chain Reaction Project ]

If you enjoy crochet-alongs, you might want to have a look at Bernat's mystery CAL going on right now. I'm bad with mysteries. I always want to know what's going to happen immediately. That said, I love to try patterns. LOL Maybe I'll wait until it's done and then do all the squares at the same time.

I haven't worked either of these though I'm tempted. :-) Never enough time to do all I'd like to do. I have a number of videos I'd like to make. Might work on that today if I can. My washing machine is very loud and right next to where I videotape. I wash pretty much every day ... We'll see how that works out.

I also received the Vanna's Choice yarn with which I want to make a spider afghan out of the strip pattern I used for the spider scarves. The "plan" is to make spider strips and name strips and join them together. We'll see how well that plan works out. :-) I have two spider strips completed and one name strip.

I'm also still making yo-yos and trying squares between projects. What are you working on?



Happy crocheting!
Sandie

3 comments:

  1. I got their magazine with 4 squares a month written instructions I could copy and send to you; there are a few mistakes I found in their charts :o( but they sent me via email the corrected copy. I kind of gave up on it and am working on a hexagon baby sweater ( a first ) will see how this turns out. Seems so easy (that always makes me think I did something wrong LOL)....Hope the weather is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have the patterns. They are available free at the web site. I added the link in the blog post. They are copyrighted, even though free.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your back, Sandie. Not fun, I know. Take it easy and give yourself time to heal.

    ReplyDelete