Sunday, November 13, 2011

squares and a scarf

I have been bad about taking photos and posting, but I'm going to catch up now.

First I have been making 7" x-stitch squares. There is actually one more to go with these (in the rose color).

Of course, there are always saltines and yo-yos.













Then I found a video at YouTube demonstrating how to make a log cabin afghan. I have long wanted to do this, so I started off making a small square along with the video. It wasn't very difficult. I just grabbed colors out of my never ending leftovers. The video is very well done.


Lastly, I remembered a while back reading about a scarf made using a bunch of different hooks. I had this in the back of my mind and was intrigued with the notion so I decided to do something with that idea. Here is my first result. I'm going to work another soon because this one came out very narrow.

Finished length is 62 1/2". Width is 4" at widest point.

Each row has 10 stitches. I started off with an F hook.

Here's what I worked:
with green, 1 row each hook - F, G, H, I, J, and K
with cream, 1 row each hook - K, J, I, H, G, and F.
with green, 2 rows F
with cream, 2 rows G
with green, 2 rows H
with cream, 2 rowsI
with green, 2 rows J
with cream, 2 rows K

Then repeat the pattern with the next section always beginning with the last hook used. For the two-row pattern I did not cut yarn, but rather carried the yarn up.

For my next scarf using this method, I am thinking to use one hook for several rows, then the next hook for several rows etc, using the same color yarn if I have enough of any color in my stash.

I think that is all I've worked up thus far.

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful!!!
    Kisses from Brasil,
    jud-artes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandie,
    My name is Tricia Wilcox and I live in Australia, I have crocheted all my life but after a long illness I seemed to have forgotten how to make a granny square, I have made hundreds and hundreds of them in the past years,all my family seem to have rugs i made but when I need to make one for myself I cant remember.
    CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tricia,
    Yes, I have a tutorial on how to make a basic granny square at Crochet Cabana. http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/granny_square.htm
    It includes the videos at my YouTube channel right there on the page.
    Hope that helps you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jud! I enjoyed looking at your blog. I can't actually read it but you have so many wonderful photos! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete