Sunday, October 16, 2011

squares, yoyos, saltines, magic ball

I'm still working on the ziploc bags filled with small balls. Some of these balls are actually not that small and I've had enough to make a few 6" squares. I think I can get a few more of those.

If I can't make a 6" square, then I make saltines. If there is not enough for a saltine, I make a yo yo. If there is not enough for a yo yo, I try for a granny's daughter. If there is not enough for a granny's daughter, then I add the strand to my magic ball of scraps. Here is the ball right now. It is 15 1/2" around.

How do I know if there is enough for any of those projects? Well, a while back I made each of these and then ripped them back and measured around a 12" ruler. I discovered that worked with an H hook and worsted yarn, for MY tension, I could make a saltine with 16 lengths of the ruler. (You can find this info in my page on making the saltine/yo-yo etc.) In brief, here are the rules I use:

yo yo - wind at least 8 times (8 feet), 16 dc
double yo yo - wind at least 20 times (20 feet), 16 dc first round, 2 in ea for 32 dc last round
granny's daughter - wind at least 7 times (7 feet), 4 3dc shells separated by chains
saltine - wind at least 16 times (16 feet), first 2 rounds basic granny square


To be clear, when I say wind, that means one length of the ruler (12"). So there would be 2 lengths in one back/front wind. I also hold an inch or two at the top so it doesn't slip out of my fingers. You will be able to judge if this works for you pretty quickly. The number of chains between shells on your granny is up to you. I sometimes use 2, sometimes 3 depending on to whom it is going.

Using this method, here is what I accomplished yesterday.

49 saltines, 11 yo yos

And here are the 6" squares I was able to make. I don't know how many winds those are as I can't bring myself to rip one back. LOL


I didn't make any double yo-yos this time. Primarily this is because I didn't think of it. heh

Other than this I've been keeping busy with regular things. My mom is progressing with her physical therapy. My son has moved back home temporarily and he is getting settled in. Jack got out once and I had to call daughter to help me corral him. There have been the usual gecko ack incidents. All in all, life continues to move on. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have very consistent tension, so I should try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandie! Great job with all of your projects! I was wondering...is there a specific place you are donating the saltines and yo-yos to? Or are you assembling them all yourself? I would be interested to know who might be collecting them for a worthwhile charity project. Thank you for all of the wonderful work you do. I really enjoy following your blog and seeing all of your projects and patterns.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim! How wonderful to hear from you. I am a member of Bev's Charity Challenge group and I send my saltines and yo yos to Dawn over at that group. She assembles them. I wouldn't mind assembling but all those tails! Not for me. I so enjoy making them and sending them off to a good home.

    ReplyDelete