Sunday, April 24, 2011

links

If you can believe this I wrote an entire post and published it before realizing I was at the WRONG BLOG. LOL  I decided to leave it at Crafty Corral and repost it here also. Hope you enjoy it.

Firstly, Happy Easter to you all! I hope you are enjoying this day in which we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ!

In fiber related news, over at Sandy's Space she blogged about a knitting book she started to read and didn't finish as of yet. She asked that we "Add your name, blog about a book you've read about knitting or crocheting or any book you've recently read for that matter, and remember to add a link to this post." So here I am.

I've read a number of knitting and crochet fiction and nonfiction books. I couldn't possibly name them all, but I do have a few that come to mind.

My very favorite is the Molly Pink stories by Betty Hechtman. I think I have listed them all, but you can use the first link to search for other books by the same author if you prefer. I really enjoyed these. There is a natural blend of romance and murder mystery though you'd likely not think of the two together. heh
Search Amazon.com for betty hechtman
Hooked on Murder (A Crochet Mystery)
By Hook or by Crook (A Crochet Mystery)
Dead Men Don't Crochet: A Crochet Mystery
A Stitch in Crime (A Crochet Mystery)
You Better Knot Die (A Crochet Mystery)Search Amazon.com for betty hechtman

I just read that there is a new one coming out at the end of the year. I'll be putting that one on my list.
Behind the Seams (A Crochet Mystery)
Bendy Carter's book, Dying to Crochet, is a great book. However, it is more expensive than the others. You might be able to get it from your local library. There are 10 original designs included and several unique stitches so you might find the extra price worth it for that reason. It's sort of like buying a pattern book with a bit of story attached, though the story is a good one, too.

Another fiction series, related to knitting rather than crochet is Maggie Sefton's series beginning with Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mysteries, No. 1). I read this one quite a while back. If time allowed, I would certainly like to catch up on these. The rest of the books in the series (that I could find anyway) are:
Needled to Death (Knitting Mysteries, No. 2)
Oh, reading the summary of that one, I have read it also so I must have really enjoyed the first one. Here are the rest.

A Deadly Yarn (Knitting Mysteries, No. 3)
A Deadly Yarn (Knitting Mysteries, No. 3)
A Killer Stitch (Knitting Mysteries, No. 4)
Dyer Consequences (Knitting Mysteries, No. 5)
Fleece Navidad (Knitting Mysteries, No. 6)
Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery)

Skein of the Crime (A Knitting Mystery)
Double Knit Murders
Unraveled (A Knitting Mystery)

I was surprised at how many there were in this series. I really need to catch up on these.

Another good knitting series (why are there so many more knitting series??) is the one by renowned author Debbie Macomber that begins with The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, No. 1). I love Debbie Macomber so no chore to read this one!

In the nonfiction realm, I am still going through Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes . I have to think when I'm reading this one and that means concentrating on that one thing, so it keeps getting pushed aside. I do want to finish it though as I find it fascinating.

Guess that's all. I hope this inspires you to pick up a good book whether it is from the library or a bookstore. Most of the fiber craft related ones have patterns too.

Happy Crocheting!
Sandie

1 comment:

  1. Excellent list you've got there. I did finish the book, but had started it vacation before last, finished it this vacation. Probably not the mark of a really good read. lol

    I'll have to make note of some of your titles so I'm prepared.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete