Saturday, April 9, 2011

KYB

As I noted yesterday, I'm working on Knit Your Bit scarves. Note that I am not a representative of this organization, just a volunteer like you all are. I offer my help regarding the crochet patterns as there are more knitters than crocheters available.

As you know, I fully support our soldiers and our veterans and am so very happy to have the opportunity to help in whatever way I can with this worthy project. The WWII museum that sponsors Knit Your Bit is in my area as well, so that's a bonus.

The yarn being used for the V for Victory pattern is Lion Brand Wool-Ease (Ranch Red). I've used this yarn many times in the past with no problem. Last night, as I sat down to work on this scarf, the yarn kept splitting and/or falling off my hook. I am thinking "what's going on here??". I also went to pull some yarn from the skein and ended up accidentally ripping half a row instead. *groan*

I was using a Boye hook - an actual Boye hook not just a hook with a Boye style head. Sadly, I have misplaced my favorite Inox H hook though I wouldn't have used it for this project anyway. I also couldn't find my Inox I hook last night, but I found it this morning.

I was bemoaning the fact that I had lost two of my favorite hooks when my husband looks around at the dozens of hooks I have displayed and knowing I have more elsewhere. He says to me, "And you only have ONE I hook?"

Well, no. *grin* I have lots of I hooks. But I didn't have THAT I hook. LOL

Anyway, when I picked up the scarf (which I had about half done), I noticed that I'd missed a stitch about six rows down. *sigh*I guess last night really wasn't my night to crochet! Have you ever had one of those?

Frogged the error and went on. Today, I am happy to say, was a much better crochet day.  I finished the Wool Ease scarf and have begun the same scarf using Vanna's Choice. When I work on patterns, I often will make two of whatever I'm working on if I have the time and like the pattern. Just to doublecheck things. Unbelievably, I still miss things.

Finished size of this scarf is about 7" x 60 1/2".

I'm also using my Inox I and J hooks and it is working out much better, so I don't know if it was the particular hook I was using yesterday or the yarn. I'll be working with the Wool Ease again probably tomorrow, so I will be able to test it with the Inox hook.

That's all for now.

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you might be learning some new things while working on a cool project. The V design is very cool.

    ReplyDelete