Monday, April 4, 2011

Knit a tree sweater ...

I received an e-mail that there was a new post at Eons.

So I went over there and saw a link to this pic over at Flickr, which led me to this blog called Knitta Please - which by the way reminded me of my Skippa scarf pattern (FB) (OT) - which brought me to both this Facebook page called A Knitted Wonderland Project with some fantastic photos, and to this news article which was very interesting. (Say goodbye to at least an hour of my life LOL)

This huge project, which I'm sure took quite a bit of organizing and planning - and stitchers - covers 99 trees which are anywhere from 5' to 12' and about 30" around. That is a tall order, any way you look at it.


Similar to what is done with the Special Olympics project, the group chose specific - turquoise, orange, pink and olive - and a pattern of stripes. I'm sure there was a scramble to find those colors anywhere you could get them. The result, however, is spectacular.

I liked one of the closing paragraphs of the article: "Borrowing the vernacular of graffiti to talk about a monster team of knitters who adorn public objects is definitely a stretch, but it probably sounds a lot cooler to say you're "yarn-bombing" 99 trees at the Blanton than to say you're laboring for 20 to 40 hours to cover a tree for the sake of arts and crafts."

Well, arts and crafts are important and the attention to the fiber arts that has been given through their efforts is certainly something.

If you're interested in the topic of yarn bombing, did you know there's a book on just that topic? Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti

Happy crocheting!
Sandie

3 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at your first paragraph. I so relate. You start here, then it takes you there, then you go there, and pretty soon the day is shot. You walk away from the computer go to another room, then remember what you sat down to do at the computer and didn't get it done. lol

    I pulled out some red the other day. Think I'll take with me on my next trip. A good travel project and I'll be ahead of the game for Red Scarf Project. Plus, I LOVE how they don't pick one brand, one color etc.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! There are so many cool projects out there. I'm currently looking at Forest for the Trees which reminds me a little bit of Knitted Wonderland although it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Forest for the Trees?

    ReplyDelete