Sunday, February 6, 2011

patterns patterns and more patterns

I have been busy going through Crafty Corral. Goodness, I didn't realize I had so many patterns, and potential patterns (items I made without a pattern but didn't actually write up a pattern) on there. I'm trying to get them done, but some require me to remake the item or at the least make a sample swatch to estimate yarn amounts and size. That will teach me to give as much info as possible on every item I talk about. :-)

The next pattern is for a pillowcase. Some of you may remember that years ago, my nephew asked me to create a pillowcase to go with an afghan that my sister (his mom) had made for him. She passed away in 1990 when my nephew was very young so this was special to him.

The pattern was a ripple made with varying shades of blue. I borrowed the afghan so I could match the colors as exactly as possible and I think it turned out pretty well considering how long ago the original was made.

Well, I didn't write down that pattern, thinking I would never again make another pillowcase. Wrong! LOL When I saw the pillowcase on Crafty Corral it gave me an idea. My nephew is getting married this weekend and wouldn't it be special to give his wife a similar pillowcase? (I've already sent ahead another gift, so this would be an extra.)

I was able to determine the pattern by looking at photos I'd taken - a 6 dc ripple with 3 sts at the hill and skip 2 at the valley, which is my normal choice in a ripple. The colors were three shades of blue. Since I didn't know what yarns were used and didn't have access to the afghan or pillowcase this time, I had to choose colors that looked similar in the photo.

The colors I chose were Red Heart Super Saver Blue, Caron One Pound Sky Blue, and Red Heart Soft Navy. I chose those because they were colors I had on hand that seemed similar to the ones in my photos.


In the pattern I am not going to specify those yarns because although they  were all nice yarns, all worsted weight, and I think good matches in color, the Caron was thicker and the Soft Navy was thinner than the Blue. I don't think the difference is very evident in the finished product, but I found them very different to work with. I suggest choosing yarns of similar thickness, perhaps from the same manufacturer although both the Blue and Soft Navy are Red Heart yarns. 

The pillowcase will fit a king size pillow and is about 22 1/2" x 37 1/2" when lying flat. The width is slightly thinner in the Soft Navy section before it is joined but looks fine after assembly.


Here is the original pillowcase.





I should have the pattern ready to post tomorrow.

Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment