Friday, December 31, 2010

how much does it take

Some time ago I mentioned that I was asked how much yarn it would take to make a certain crocheted item. It's a question I hear quite often. I thought I would post these links here. They are on the Yarn Yak page at Crochet Cabana as well.

Lion Brand has a chart that gives yardage for certain items. Here is the pdf file and here is the html page. Those links do change periodically so if you can't find it, just search around the site.

Elizabeth's Fiber and Yarn Store also has a chart.

Knitting Daily has an article on how much yarn it takes to make sweaters or cardigans.

If you live in or near Portland, are you in for a treat. This shop has a nice article on how to figure how much yarn you'll need, but not only that - if you go into the shop they'll help you do this. You can also make your own skeins of yarn, combining colors you like together. How cool is that? From the Chronicles of Yarnia shop web site:

Yarnia is Portland's only DIY yarn store, and the only place where you can design your very own custom blend of yarn. You choose the fiber, color, thickness, and amount, and can have your custom cone of yarn wound for you right on the spot. Plus, it's all sold by the pound!
Hope those articles are some help. They are generally by the yard, so you must know how many yards in your skein if you are shopping by skein which is what I normally do. I usually figure on getting 3 skeins of any particular yarn if they are 3.5 ounce skeins as I know I can complete a scarf with that much. If I have a particular pattern in mind, of course, then I know how much yarn I need, but generally I am yarn shopping with no particular project in mind.

One thing to note about these charts is that for most projects crochet takes a lot more yarn than knitting - more than twice the amount in yards. If you're on a budget, you might like to learn how to knit too. ;-)

I added a few patterns to the never ending files in my computer of things I hope to do one day and will probably never get around to.

First is this beautiful heart afghan. You can find more beautiful afghan patterns and many other types of patterns at Purple Kitty, published on the site with permission from the original publishers.

I can't remember if I posted this pattern or not, but I have been looking at hooded scarf patterns and I began this one yesterday from Andraya's Crochet and so far I love it. I added a few rounds as it is for my husband and his head is apparently larger than Andraya's. :-) I have found I have to pay attention to what I'm doing, but if you do, the pattern is written clearly and the result is nice. I'm not finished the scarf yet. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Another pattern that has tickled my creative juices is the Bainbridge Scarf. It is knitted, but it would be easy enough to convert to crochet as it is just a rectangle 4" x 26" with a tie on each end. The pictures showing you how to wear it are great though!

Going on my hook soon will be Sandra Huffines' winter hat over at Bev's Country Cottage.

A friend mentioned working a Jacob's Ladder hat some time ago. Now there's a thought! I want to try that. I don't have a pattern, but I think I can do it without one.

Also, I want to make one of these wheelchair wraps by Susan Coes.

That's enough to keep me busy for a while I think. I guess I'd better get busy!

Have a safe New Year's Eve, everyone!

Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment