Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Share a Square

As you know I've been working on squares for Share a Square. Coordinator Shelly would like to give each child at three camps (one being in Louisiana) a nice afghan to let them know people care about them. She is making these with 6" squares (with a 12" tail for joining), 8 squares x 10 squares, so she needs 80 squares for each of the 150 afghans planned. She would like these to be from 80 different people. Feel free to put her card on your blog to advertise the effort. 12,000 squares are needed and I believe she'd received around 3000, give or take, as of a few days ago.

Some people have pledged to make 150 squares so they will have one square in each afghan. I have not done that, but I have made a good number of squares and I will have some more going out tomorrow.It's a worthy effort and I know the kids will be appreciative. We all know cancer is a horrible disease for anyone, but for kids ... well, that's just unacceptable. We need to get rid of it once and for all. I hope it's within my lifetime.

My daughter decided to jump in and she is sending off some squares, some of these of her own design - and they are lovely! I could have sent them off today, but I liked the patterns so much that I wanted to write them down while I had the squares in hand, so I could make more later. Daughter crochets tightly so I had to adjust my hook down a bit.

Here are her squares. Thanks, Kate!

Kate's squares

And here are my versions of four of them.

changing color every stitch
check pattern


V stitch square
























A 6" square uses hardly any yarn, so if you've not participated yet, even one square would be appreciated.
Don't forget to leave a 12" tail at the end for joining.

I also made four 12" amethyst squares for Heartmade Blessings - Operation Purple Heart. They are the charity for November at Crochetlist. The yarn was donated to me by someone who I know has assembled a number of Operation Purple Heart afghans so I thought she would like that the yarn was used for that purpose.

That's all for now. Back to my hook and yarn.

Happy crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment